The first time I made mapo tofu was a disaster because I didn’t follow the recipe* properly: not enough tofu and meat yet I kept the same amount of condiments.
The result was a concoction that was so fiery and salty it was barely edible and actually caused us to choke up whilst it was cooking. Whoops.
The second time round I couldn’t use any mince as I was cooking for the vegetarian hubby, too. It turned out much better, but still too salty… maybe because I left out the pork.
In case you were wondering, here are the ingredients you’ll need (minor adjustments made to the original recipe):
- 1 block silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons Sichuan spicy bean paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2.5 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fermented black beans
- 2 stalks of scallions
- 3 gloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup water
* The recipe used is from RasaMalaysia.com, a fantastic resource for Malaysian and Asian cooking.