marriage in Malaysia

Marrying a British citizen in Malaysia (if you’re Malaysian)

register a marriage in Malaysia

This is my guide for non-Muslim Malaysians planning to marry British nationals, based on my own experience.  Does it work?  Yes, I’m married to one.

Note that as of 9 July 2012, there are new immigration laws for those looking to settle as the spouse of a British national.  Please check the UKVI website to see how it affects your application.  I’ve also updated the post to fix an error on my part: my then-fiancé did not apply for a Certificate of No Impediment, he had a Statutory Declaration endorsed by a notary public.

Congratulations on your decision to tie the knot! Now you’re wondering, where do I go?  What documents do I need?  Will this cost a lot?  Should I apply for a UK Fiancé(e) Visa or a UK Spouse Visa?

The good news is that it’s relatively easy and hassle-free to apply. My fiancé (now husband) is British and I’m non-Muslim Malaysian, and we successfully applied to register our marriage for non-Muslim applicants in January 2012.

Since we’ve been through the application process, I’ll share with you the steps we went through to help you get hitched.  If you’re from another country, the rules may differ, so your best bet is to check with your embassy.

Summary of documents required, including forms and fees
Step 1: Prove you’re free to marry
Step 2: Get endorsed by the UK authorities
Step 3: Get endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia
Step 4: Apply to register
Step 5: Get married!

Summary of documents required

british national passport

For the Malaysian national:

  • Identity card i.e. MyKad.
  • One (1) colour photograph (32mm X 38mm) against a BLUE background
  • If you are a divorcee, you need to submit the Decree Nisi Absolute. If you are a widow(er), submit the Certificate of Death of Spouse.

For the British national:

  • Passport — the original, plus a photocopy of i) the bio page with his personal information, and ii) the latest page with his date of arrival in Malaysia (to prove he has been in the country for at least 7 days).
  • One (1) colour photograph (32mm X 38mm) against a BLUE background.
  • document to confirm his marital status — a Certificate of No Impediment from the UK, or a Letter of Confirmation of Marital Status (sometimes called a Single Status Letter) from Malaysia.  This document must be endorsed by either:
    • a) the Malaysian embassy in the UK; or
    • b) the British High Commission in Malaysia.
  • This endorsement comes in the form of a letter from the embassy that must then be certified by the Consular Division at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Wisma Putra, Putrajaya, Malaysia.

Forms and fees:

  • JPN.KC02 for marriage without a licence (for adults above 21).  There are licences for other conditions e.g. express marriage, one party is under 21, etc.
  • Approx. GBP30+ for the Certificate of No Impediment Statutory Declaration by a notary public.
  • Approx. GBP65 (RM332 as at 6 April 2011) for the endorsement.
  • RM20 for the marriage certificate

All these documents must be submitted with your application for registration of marriage (ROM).

Your fiancé must be present when you both apply, and he has to have been in the country for at least 7 days beforehand, including the day of application.  There’s a special marriage licence for those wanting to skip the 7-day wait — I think the same rules apply, but there is a fee of RM100 for it.  Note: Not sure if the special marriage licence is available anymore.

Step 1: Prove you’re free to marry

duke duchess cambridge

Bet Kate and Wills didn’t have to go through all this!

The first thing you both need to do is prove that you’re legally allowed to marry each other.  As a Malaysian citizen, all you need is your MyKad and 1 colour photograph (32mm x 38mm) taken against a blue background.  You do not need any special documents.

For your British fiancé, it’s a tad more complicated but still manageable.  He will need to write a Statutory Declaration (which is basically an official statement in written form) and have it endorsed by a notary public in the UK.  He will need to get a Certificate of No Impediment from the UK authorities:

The Malaysian National Registration Department, also known as Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN), refers to this Statutory Declaration as a Single Status Letter, which you can also obtain in Malaysia.  Your fiancé can get this from the office of a notary public in Malaysia, who will prepare the document for him to sign after swearing an oath that he is free to marry.

My fiancé got his certificate letter from a notary public in the UK, after paying a fee of roughly GBP30, excluding taxes.  These are official documents, so they must come from authorised parties.

Step 2: Get endorsed by the UK authorities

Your fiancé must take his Certificate of No Impediment or Single Status Letter / Statutory Declaration to the British High Commission in Malaysia, where the authorities will provide endorsement in the form of a stamped letter.  We were told that the endorsement can take up to 2 days, but my fiancé managed to get it on the same day.  He went to the BHC on Jalan Ampang in Kuala Lumpur.

Getting there is relatively easy, as it’s near the PETRONAS Twin Towers, but note that there is no on-site parking.  You don’t need to be present, but he will need a photocopy of your identity card (front and back).

Step 3: Get endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Take your documents and get ready for a mini road trip!  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is located in Putrajaya, the federal administrative centre of Malaysia, and a popular tourist destination.  Putrajaya is huge so make sure you head to the right area, Precinct 2.  Underground parking is only for staff, but there is a huge open-air parking area nearby with ample spots.

Once you’re at the Consular Division, you will take a number twice.  The first time is to submit the Certificate of No Impediment Statutory Declaration and letter from the embassy.  This took about 2 minutes for us.  The second time is to pick up your documents, now endorsed by the Ministry.  This took about an hour for us.

Step 4: Apply to register

After waiting 7 days, both of you can submit your application form JPN.KC02, along with the documents you’ve worked so hard to acquire, at the National Registration Department (JPN).

Which branch should you choose?  Well, you really have only two choices.  You must register at the branch of your district, or travel again to the main branch in Putrajaya.  Your district is determined by the address stated on your identity card.  So if your MyKad says you live in Petaling Jaya, you must submit your application at the Petaling Jaya branch on Jalan Barat.  Or Putrajaya.

The branch where you get registered, must be the same branch where you submit your application.  For example, if you apply at Putrajaya, you must get registered there.

Lost in translation

You and your fiancé must sign the oath in form JPN.KC02.  The only setback is that it is in Bahasa Malaysia, the local language.  The officer may tell you that you need a translator to translate the passage for your fiancé, which means spending more time and money.

But wait!  Do you understand Bahasa Malaysia?  If you do, you can actually serve as the translator, saving you both time and money.  A verbal translation for your fiancé is fine, after which you simply sign as the translator.

Pick a date

The officer will then ask you to choose a date to register / solemnise your marriage, but only on a Tuesday or Wednesday, between 8am-10am, for foreign marriages.  Your “window” begins 21 days after your application submission, and ends 6 months after.  Let’s say your application falls on 1 January 2012.  You can get married anytime on a Tuesday or Wednesday, from 22 January 2012 to 22 July 2012.  I think that’s how they count the 6 months, but do check with the officer.

Step 5: Get married

marriage in Malaysia

Congratulations again! Now you’re officially and legally free to become husband and wife!  Take along your official and original identification documents (MyKad and passport), plus two witnesses aged 21 and above.  After swearing an oath before emotional family and friends, and being asked if you are both absolutely certain of this, you and your fiancé will respond with a resounding, “I do!”

Then you’ll be given some time to take photos against the hideous backdrop prepared by someone from the JPN with a twisted sense of humour and no design sense whatsoever.  The one at Putrajaya is bearable.

FYI the marriage certificate is in both Bahasa Malaysia and English, so you do not need to get it translated for international use.  By default you will receive one copy, but you can get as many as you like at RM20 each.

This is common sense and really should go without saying, but do remember to dress appropriately.  The notice states that T-shirts, jeans, slippers, and shorts are strictly not allowed.  Then again, why would anyone want to get married in those?

Well, I hope you’ve found this useful – if you have, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc so it can help others in the same situation.

If I’ve missed out anything, made any mistakes or if you have a question, please leave a comment. I’d also love to hear about your own experience. Good luck and all the best for a long and happy life together!

Posted in life and tagged , , .


  1. Congratulations for you! I am currently in the same process to get married, but with an American citizen. For muslim, the process is a bit different, what we need is like “a permission letter by embassy to get married in Malaysia” and “single status affidavit”. We have no problem with the affidavit, but have problem with permission letter where its actually something that did not exist ~ dun understand why they need it. hmm

    • Hi Atoqa,

      Thanks for your wishes and for sharing your experience. You mean a letter from the American embassy in Malaysia? I’ve not heard of such a thing but I’m not an expert on the subject. Several Muslim friends of mine married foreigners. If you like I can ask them whether they had the same problem and what their solution was.

    • Hi Atoqa,

      Thanks for your wishes and for sharing your experience. You mean a letter from the American embassy in Malaysia? I’ve not heard of such a thing but I’m not an expert on the subject. Several Muslim friends of mine married foreigners. If you like I can ask them whether they had the same problem and what their solution was.

    • Hi Atoqa, anyway I am muslim and I am marrying an American citizen too, can u please share some information with me on the procedures? I also would love to know how did you get the single status affidavit and the permission letter form American embassy? pleaseeeee help me ur help will be appreciated.. anyone please help us..

  2. Hi Li San, thank you so much for this post! It has been such a great help to me and my fiancé(also from the midlands, but currently working here in PJ)! We are currently on step 2 going on to step 3, with this post, it has definitely made things so much easier and simpler for us :) So, thank you!

    Just a quick question, you’ve mentioned about the passport size photos, when will it be needed?

    • Hi Eden,

      Thanks for your kind comments! Congratulations on your engagement!

      The passport photos are for when you apply to register at JPN, before the actual registration ceremony.

      Will you be moving to the UK? :D

      • Hi Li San, got it! Thanks!

        We won’t be heading back the UK anytime soon. Will most probably stay and work here for a couple of years before deciding what our next move is.

        Thanks again for your help!

  3. Hi Li San,

    Another quick question. Just to double confirm whether its possible to apply to get registered at the local branch with one party bein non-Malaysia? Or it must be done at putra jaya?

    We are getting there.. Wouldn’t have done it without the help from this blog post!

    • Yup, we registered at the branch of my district, not at Putrajaya.

      You can either register at 1) the branch of your district, or 2) Putrajaya. I doubt things have changed since then.

      All the best for your big day!

  4. Hi Li San,

    Congratulations :)

    I’m in the same process, getting married to British national. My fiance just sent me an article frm the UK government website published on 21 March 2013 which reads …….”Marrying in a Commonwealth country: you cannot obtain a Certificate of No Impediment for a marriage in a Commonwealth country. You will need to speak to the authorities conducting your marriage ceremony to make them aware that you cannot obtain this and ask them what sort of alternative (if any) should be provided instead.”

    Do you have any idea about this and is there any other alternative to this?

    The link to this article:

    Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

    • Hi Jusmeet,

      Thanks for your comment! Sorry, I only just realised that I’ve made a mistake! My fiancé did not get a Certificate of No Impediment; what he got was a Statutory Declaration, which is basically a statement in written form swearing that he was single and therefore was free to marry. He went to a solicitor (one that is listed as a notary public) in the UK and had the man write him the Declaration, which he signed. That’s good enough proof for the British High Commission.

      I’ve also updated the post to correct my mistake. Hope this helps!

      Li San

  5. I can confirm that it’s not easy to find a simple “notary public”.
    Just arm yourself with a list of half a dozen solicitors’ phone numbers from the Yellow Pages and ring them up detailing what it is that you need them to do.

    I went to see three solicitors over the course of getting married and getting documents created/approved/photocopied to bring my good lady wife over here – and only once was one of those visits kosher. The other two times it was just cash-in-hand with an official stamp and a quick signature!

    The rules seemed to change [regarding acting as a notary public] at some point last year because when I needed something photocopying that I’d done with solicitor “B” (cash in hand) it was something they could no longer offer. (B had photocopied documents for me, immediately prior to flying-out to get married at the start of 2012. On this occasion it was passport pages.)
    I tried solicitor “A” (genuine receipt payment where I obtained a Statutory Declaration in 2011) and they couldn’t do it.
    Ultimately, after some ringing around [even trying people that A and B recommended] I found solicitor “C” (who herself had married a Russian before the Iron Curtain fell) who was happy to photocopy everything herself, stamp it, sign it and not even put it through the books.
    And it all turned out okay.

    Mr. Li San

  6. Thanks for the reply and it really made things easy for me.

    I have another question, hope you don’t mind, do you have any idea if it is possible for him to get his declaration done in Malaysia or has it to be only in the UK?

    • Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work!

      Hope you found the answer in the post above – in the second-last paragraph of Step 1 – in the meantime: yes, he can get it done in Malaysia.

  7. Hi, my son married his Malaysian wife 2 and half years ago in Malaysia. We are just about to begin the process of getting a visa for her to come and live in the UK. We were told at the time that the marriage did not have to be registered in the UK, but the embassy in Malaysia is now saying that it should have been registered in UK within 6 months. Do you happen to know if this is correct?

    Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

  8. I wouldn’t know who to “register” it with.
    We haven’t registered it with anyone.

    Our official marriage certificate was enough to create a bank account with Lloyds TSB [now reverted to the “Lloyds Bank” moniker] upon arrival here last year – the only condition being that I already had an account with Lloyds TSB, It was a dormant account, but it was valid all the same. Since then, we have been able to start an individual account with Santander – another bank with whom I have an account. A lot of other banks (inc. Co-op) are still refusing Li San’s custom. This should iron-out next year with the PR…
    I can also confirm that a mortgage application will escape her for two years. This means that only the husband’s earnings can be taken into consideration.

    We registered with my local GP just fine last year. We didn’t need the marriage certificate for that.

    Just what we did to obtain a national insurance number escapes me…

  9. Could you give some advice please?
    I am a UK citizen living in the UK and I am hoping to marry a Malaysian citizen who lives in Kuching in December.
    My solicitor has provided a single certificate and I understand I now need to get this legalised at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London and further legalisation at the Malaysian High Commission in London.
    I am then confused about what needs to be done in addition in Putrajaya. What do they provide and can this be done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia office in Kuching?

  10. Hi Li San,

    I’m a Malaysian (muslim) and in process of getting married with a British citizen. I’ve done some research but kinda a bit confused still. We both are working in the UK but wanted to get married in Malaysia. I’m unsure on how many times that I or we should get back to Malaysia to settle the documents and such. If possible we want to do it in 2 trips (to settle the doc + back for the wedding). Do my fiance really have to stay for 7 days in Malaysia before we can submit the documents? If you have any muslim friends that have any experience with this, can you give some advice please? Thank you.

  11. Hi Julian, did you get any more info on this? My understanding is the same as Li San’s, ie. get the statutory declaration from UK lawyer then take it to British High Commision in KL who will endorse it via stamped letter which is then taken to Putrajaya as part of marriage application? regards Ian

    • Hi Ian,
      Form signed by my local lawyer (not a notary), Stamped by FCO in UK, Stamped by Malaysian High Commission in London. taken to British High Commission in KL who issued a letter, this taken to two different offices in Putrajaya then off to Kuching – all was easy until now, three visits to office to get further signature (only on person could do this and was not often present and couldnt make appointment), finally married in Kuching. Now onto the confusing online UK VISA form!

  12. Hi Li San,
    I’m sure you have busy schedules ahead, but I would first like to thank you for taking the time to answers all questions posted here. It means a lot to those who are in the same boat as I am and I think I speak for all, when I express how thankful I am that someone is out there to help us out.
    My question is this: Can I obtain a marriage certificate on both our behalves and fill up our intentions to marry one another, then submit it for approval and later have my fiance and I sign the forms after the 21 days of it being in the registrar department? (We are rather constrained for time, as he cannot be in the country for over a month due to job obligations. He is a British national and lives there. We really are looking for a way around the 21 days – we can definitely meet the 7 day requirement, but the 21 + 7 days, is too much for him to be absent from work. I appreciate yours or anyone else who can respond to my query. -troubled-

  13. Hahaha! Hello Li San, it is such a fun read and very vividly i can just vividly hear the tone of your voice when u said about taking photo at JPN where they have “a twisted sense of humour and no design sense”! XD anyway, i stumbled to this for a good read.. If God have blessed me with my British man to get married next year, i have to have an idea what sort if preparations to go through. Maybe slight differences because I am a muslim, but on the BHC should be about the same.. Thank u for sharing! And are you living in the UK? How’s it like? Thanks again!

    • Hi Hidayah! Thanks for your lovely comments! :) To be honest I’m not sure how different it is for Muslims. I would imagine if there are any differences, it would be with JPN, so please do check with them just in case.

      Living in the UK is alright, but there’s no place like home! Living in London is quite different to living in other parts of the UK, like another world! I really miss the food and sunshine, things you might normally take for granted. When are you relocating here? :)

      • currently dating a british citizen..I want to know if we shud get registered in Malaysia or in u.k.. can we just do it in u.k? Could someone please guide me..

  14. Hi again Li San and everyone else! My last post was in January and now it’s almost the end of May. Can’t believe how time flies! My fiance is arriving in Malaysia on Saturday. We are ready to jump some hoops before our ROM. You’ve mentioned above in your post that:

    A document to confirm his marital status – a Certificate of No Impediment from the UK, or a Letter of Confirmation of Marital Status (sometimes called a Single Status Letter) from Malaysia. This document must be endorsed by either:

    a) the Malaysian embassy in the UK; or
    b) the British High Commission in Malaysia.

    So, my fiance has done the second. Does this mean we can head straight to the Consular services at the Foreign Affairs Dept in Putrajaya, or are we still required to meet with a notary at the British High Com? Is a bit confusing and even after speaking to the British High Comm, we feel that we have to visit them before heading to Putrajaya. Could you kindly advise. Many thanks again! :)

    • Hi Gayathri!

      Sorry for the delayed response, things have been hectic for me lately.

      To answer your question, you should be able to go straight to Putrajaya. As mentioned in my post, my husband declared his single status in a letter and had it notarised in the UK, then when he flew over to Malaysia, he had it endorsed by the British High Comm. After that we went to Putrajaya.

      Hope this helps – let us know how it goes! :)

  15. Hi Li San!
    Everything has gone smoothly (with just minor bumps) I didn’t realize my IC said Perak, so we got hitched in Ipoh. :) All done now. We’re currently working our way through paper work for the spouse visa. Wondered if you have any tips or another site in mind, that we can look up to help us out with our application. Many thanks again!

  16. Hi, I am British and will marry a Malaysian girl this year, looking at the forms / checklist it has an entry stating you must prove that you are not a Muslim, it lists various countries but not UK.
    Do I need to produce a letter or something to prove I am a Christian?

    I note nobody here on this site has discussed this so I am hoping it is not a relevant document I will need to find.

    Any help will be welcomed.

    • Hi Jon,

      I’ve not heard of this before. Are you marrying a Muslim? What form/checklist is this? Unless it’s a new rule, I think it’s a straightforward process for a non-Muslim marriage.

  17. Hey, Li San,

    Thanks for the super detailed procedure for a British and Malaysian marriage registration. Me and my fiance (British) are trying to register our marriage and after scores of confusions and not knowing where to start. I stumble on your blog which both of us are super grateful of. although we know how to start now we are still unsure where as we have called the notary office and the girl at the front desk seem confused when we asked about the statutory declaration. Is my fiance suppose to type the letter himself and get the lawyer to sign or the lawyer will provide the declaration for us.

    Thanks again for the super helpful post.

    • Hi Audrey,

      Really happy you find my guide useful :) The statutory declaration is just a fancy title for a formal letter that your fiance can write himself and have endorsed by a notary public so it becomes an official statement. Hope this helps!

  18. Hi Li San

    Thank you for your sharing your experience to everyone . I’m currently looking up info to marry my Brirish fiance in UK by going through spouse visa route. Do you think UKBA will grant me that visa?

    Many thanks.

    • Hi Emily,

      Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      I really don’t know as everyone’s case is different. There are several requirements you need to fulfil: financial (UK gov want to see you can support yourselves without benefits), genuine relationship, etc.

      My advice is to read the notes and guidance documents on the UKBA website. Also go through the form you need to fill in so you know you have all the information requested.

      Best of luck with your application!

  19. Hi Li San, Found your article by chance – and it’s such a help.. But if possible I would like to clarify a few points – make sure I have it right.. Btw.. I’m a British man, looking to marry a Malaysian girl. I’ve worked/lived here for the best part of 7 years now, and I’m currently divorced.

    I’ve found a Single Status Declaration (Sworn Affidavit) form online, which I’ve then typed my details into that and printed out (not yet signed). I understand I now need to have it signed in front of a lawyer. Can I do that here in Malaysia? (I found a public notary in USJ) or Do I need to fly back to the UK for that?

    Once stamped by the Lawyer, I need to take it to the British High commission in Ampang? Do I need an appointment, or Can I just show up, and do I need to bring my fiancée?

    Once stamped by both Lawyer and BHC, then I need to take to JPN in Putrajaya right? (near where we both work) Again, do I need appointment, or Can I just show up, and again, Do I need to bring my fiancée along? (I worry that we both need to take a lot of time off work).
    Also, is it at this point I need to bring other documents (passport etc?)

    After that, then I believe I need to wait 7 days, correct? Then submit another form? (or is it now I submit my passport etc?).

    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated… Thank You so much.

    • Hi Cliff,

      Thanks for your lovely comment. In response to your questions:

      – You should be able to get it notarised by a Malaysian public notary.
      – You don’t need an appointment with the British High Comm (at least we didn’t at the time). Your fiancée doesn’t need to be there, but they will need a photocopy of her ID (I used my passport, just the ID page, I can’t remember if I signed the photocopy as well, but no harm getting her to do so).
      – You can just show up to JPN but you will need to take a number and wait. You know how Malaysian government offices work… I think it took us about half a day. I can’t recall if your fiancée needs to be there… No harm taking your passport along in case!
      – Yes, 7 days, unless things have changed since 2010.
      – After waiting 7 days this is when you submit the application form to register your marriage. Again, forgive me it’s been 2 years, but I’d imagine they need your passport for this, along with your endorsed documents.

      I’m not sure if divorced persons need to provide any details, but I would check this, just to be safe. Call JPN to be doubly sure. I was skeptical about getting any help from a government officer, but the lady on the phone was surprisingly helpful!

      Best of luck!

  20. Hi Li San,
    First I want to say how helpful your blog has been in trying to work out the marriage process here! It’s pretty confusing, especially when you’re not in your native country where you’re more familiar with processes/offices etc.
    I’m in a slightly different position in the fact that both my partner and I are British but getting married in Malaysia. Apart from on your blog, I haven’t been able to find out much about getting the statutory declaration/CNI from the British High Commission (we have both) endorsed. Do you know if you have the CNI you still need to get that endorsed or is it just the statutory declaration? I’m trying to avoid a trip to Putrajaya if I can, although I’m not sure if foreigners have to apply there or if we can submit our form and get the marriage certificate at a NRD branch in KL (wherever that may be!)
    Any help would be much appreciated, and hope you’re enjoying life in the UK!

    • Hi Melanie,

      Thanks for your kind words! I’m just glad others find this useful.

      Congrats to you and your partner! I’m not sure how it works for foreign couples looking to get married in Malaysia, but I checked on the UK gov website and found this:
      ‘The UK doesn’t issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. You’ll need to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry.
      The British High Commission in Malaysia can provide you with a letter explaining this position for a charge – see consular fees for Malaysia.

      You’ll need to provide the following documents:
      – a statutory declaration made at the local High Court or at the office of a notary public in the UK or Malaysia
      your original passport and your partner’s passport
      a divorce certificate (if you have been previously married)’

      And more info here on the JPN (NRD) website:
      7.4. Letter verifying marital status of a non-citizen applicant is to be:
      7.4.1. certified by either the Malaysian representative in the applicant’s home country or the applicant’s consulate in Malaysia, and
      7.4.2. re-certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) in Putrajaya, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.
      7.4.3. If the letter does not have a validity date, it will be deemed valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

      So, from what I gather, there is no CNI but you will each need a statutory declaration of your marital status to be notarised by a notary public in Malaysia. You’ll each need to get this endorsed by the British High Comm and the MFA in Putrajaya (sorry!).

      Hope this helps! Good luck with everything and please feel free to share your story when everything’s settled! :)

      • Hi Li San,
        Thanks for the information! It was very helpful. It turned out I did have the right letter from the British High Commission – I was just getting the name confused!

        So, it is a little different if you’re both foreigners wanting to get married in Malaysia. After getting the statutory declarations and the British High Commission endorsement endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you need to go to the JPN in Putrajaya to obtain approval to get married. To do this, you have to fill in a form and present all documentation (passport, endorsed letters, birth certificate with photocopy); you don’t both need to be present for this. Luckily, you can specify on the form where you want to get married so we’re getting married in KL (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 8-10am at the JPN Duta office). You then need to take all of this documentation, plus photocopies and letter from JPN Putrajaya, when you submit your application.
        Hope this helps anyone else who finds this blog!

  21. Hi congratulations! I have some questions to ask. So sorry to trouble you and i got confuse by all the informations that i found online and theres noway i can find or ask (been trying to call malaysia official, but no one ever pick up the phone.

    I am malaysian, living in singapore. My finance from holland. I am applying Dutch resident visa, but first of all i need single status certification from Malaysia to prove that i am single. now…

    Where do i get the Single status certification? I know that u can get it from JPN, but there’s no way i can find information how or what documents/ forms i need to get the SSC (Single Status certification). When i read your post, you stated that you just need myKad, and a photo. Do u need to fill in any form to get that done? Do you need a letter ( “sumpah” letter – my dad call that) from a lawyer or judge?

    We haven’t set a date to get married yet, the SSC is needed for my visa in Holland. is that gonna affect us?

    Can i get everything down within a day in order to get the SSC?

    Hope to hear from you, you could email me directly as well. Thank you and so sorry for a long list of questions!

  22. Hi , hope you are both well and receivey comment ok, Im English and married to a Malaysian back in 2006 in Langkawi . We have now moved to KL and I’m looking for people in a similar situation as me, basically I only finished high school and was lucky enough to find a job here within a couple of months . I’m trying to find other foreigners who have done or trying to do this , I saw your page and thought this may be somewhere to start my search . (Assuming you are currently living in Malaysia ) .
    Thank you

  23. Hi Li San,

    Im so glad to find your post! im freaking out trying to sort my marriage out as we are planning to get married in uk in 3 months!

    Please help ( as we are so unorganised about this) My case is less complicated then yours (i hope).

    Im british and my fiance (Nick) is Malaysian. we meet 4 years ago in uk while studying.

    we want to pace our important life choice out in the next 5+ years:
    2015 feb – register in UK (officially get married)
    2016 – chinese ceremony in malaysia) (for the family)
    2017-18 – i move to malaysia
    Future – Nick can move/work in UK (thats when he apply for resident visa)

    so the only hurdle i trying to get over is registering in UK. Flight and council has been booked. The only question is do he need a marriage VISA????

    Its so expensive, and as he is not planning to get UK resident then is it necessary. Council has dose not want to give advise.

    If you or anyone have advise then please help :)


    • Hi Jess,

      Because Nick is a foreign national, it looks like he needs a visa, and that depends on how long his stay will be in the UK. See link below.

      If you were registering in Malaysia, then you wouldn’t need a visa.

      Make sure you do it properly e.g. get the proper paperwork, because this will affect Nick’s application for a visa to live in the UK in the future.

      Hope that helps.

      Li San

  24. Hi Li San, you have been very helpful. Congrats on your marriage. I am more interested to find out how you both get to know each other.

  25. Hi Lisa,
    I’m currently in a similar situation and in need of help as I’m in a desperate situation.
    I’m currently in sarawak( my hometown) and waiting for my bf to come over in mid April 2015 from London.
    We are planning to get married here in Malaysia before he take me over to London to settle down.
    The problem is he will be for only a month (mid April til mid May).
    Do you think there’s enough time to settle everything?
    Please send me an email :-
    [email protected]


  26. Hi Li San,

    Thanks for sharing your experience here with us, it’s been very helpful. I’m Malaysian and my boyfriend is British living in UK, we’re planning on getting married and moving to UK.

    How long did the whole process take for you, from getting registered to moving to the UK? BTW, I’m divorced with a 10 y/o boy, so I don’t suppose u know whether there is any other requirements for the spouse/family visa application I need to fulfil, besides the financial?

    Thanks in advance for your help! P.S. was it difficult for you to get a job after moving to UK? I remember that the recession was quite bad 2 years ago.



    • Hi Adriane,

      Thanks for the kind comments.

      We registered in January 2012, I applied for the Spouse Visa in Apr or May and it took less than a month to get it. Whole process was quite fast and would’ve been faster if I hadn’t waited to apply or to move.

      Your situation is different from mine, so I can’t say for sure what the requirements are. The rules change all the time, so you have to check the government website, which is really helpful. Back when I applied, finding information was more difficult.

      Regarding getting a job, it depends on what you do for a living, and which part of the UK you’ll live in. Generally it’s not that hard to find a job. I’m in marketing, and there are plenty of marketing jobs in the bigger cities.

      Li San

  27. Hi Li San, could you please help me out. I’m Malaysian and my fiance is English. We’re in the middle of trying to attain the Statutory Declaration. I went to the JPN in Kuching (where I’m from to find out about the documents needed) It turns out no one uses the Certificate of No Impediment anymore. And so we’re getting a SD. Now wondering if we need to get an Apostille as well. Called the British High Comm, 3 times now and such a joke, no one can help and emails go unanswered. And the JPN guy has said he isn’t sure. Any suggestions? Also we write the SD on our own?

    • Hi Jeyanthi,

      Alice has just shared her experience with the SD:

      ‘First we went to Brits embassy (they moved to Level 27 Menara Binjai, 2 Jalan Binjai, Kuala Lumpur 50450, opposite Intercontinental KL) but they said they no longer issue Cert of No Impediment, so we took the sample of Statutory Declaration from embassy, fill in details then got the chop and sign from the Commissioner for Oaths (at 5th floor of Wisma Central, Jalan Ampang, near to KLCC).

      We’ll back to Brits embassy next Monday again (need to make appointment) for the endorsement, then all set and get ready for the mini road trip to Putrajaya.’

      Hope that helps!

  28. Hi Li San,

    I am thoroughly grateful to have come across your post. My partner (British national) and I are planning to to be married and I think I have gotten the jist of it from your post and some of the comments however we are still weighing the pros and cons of whether we should be registered there or here. My queries are: –

    1. He can only be here for 2 weeks in Feb 2016 and I was wondering if that will be sufficient time for us to be registered successfully and be married within that stipulated time?

    2. If it isn’t and we intend to do it there, is it a must for me to apply for a fiance visa before being able to be registered in the UK?

    3. After you were registered here, did you apply for a Spouse visa while you were still in Malaysia? If yes, how long did it take for you to obtain the visa? If not, please advise on the procedure.

    4. Did you guys engage a lawyer to handle your Spouse visa application. If yes, would you recommend it and if not, was it tedious and tough to go through with the application yourself?

    5. Last but not least, as per Adrianne’s comment, was it tough for you to get a job once you got there?

    Sorry for the long winded post but we hope to get it right from the get go if possible as we are quite pressed for time and for him or myself to go back and forth without knowing what we are doing can be frustrating and not mention, expensive.

    Hope that I can hear from you soon and thank you once again for sharing your experience. After reading your post, it made me feel quite hopeful again because there was just no clear diections or answers that I could obtain and the agency we spoke to I believe seems to be steering us towards engaging them for their services for what could be a hassle-free process. If that is the way to go then it’s fine but if we can manage it on our own, I don’t see why we should waste money on the fees.

    Looking forward to your reply! Thanking you in advance and have a good day!


    • Hi LM,

      It’s been awhile since I went through it so please excuse me if I’m unsure of many things. Please note that rules and circumstances may have changed, and my answers are all based on my experience at the time in 2012. We registered in Malaysia because it saved us from having to apply for a visa twice (Fiancée Visa and Spouse Visa) – visas are not cheap and the application fee goes up regularly! To answer your other questions…

      1. I don’t think 2 weeks is enough time. As mentioned in my post, you have to wait 7 days to apply for marriage registration, then another 21 days to get married. See if things change with the special marriage licence, or if that’s even available anymore.

      2. Yes. You need a visa to get married in the UK, and you won’t be able to work with that visa. Have you checked the UK gov website? It’s very useful and a lot easier to use than during my time.

      3. Yes, please see this post:

      4. You don’t need a lawyer. It’s possible to do it yourself. Just need to read up, and all the information should be available on the UK government website. Be wary of any agent who tells you they can guarantee you a visa; this is not possible as they have no control over the application.

      5. Generally it’s not tough to find a job, but it depends on your line of work and where in the UK you will live.

      I highly recommend that you go through the UK government website, print out the sections relevant to you, and use it as your bible to help with your application. Check the website from time to time, as changes could be made that may or may not affect you. I also suggest printing the actual application form for the visa, so you can study it and find out what exactly you need to include with your application. You might need to start keeping documents e.g. bank statements, phone bills, etc. When I applied for the Spouse Visa, I had to prove that our relationship was genuine, and I was financially stable. The UK government wants to see that your marriage isn’t a sham and you’re not moving there to claim benefits la, because there are plenty of slackers here living off government handouts :) From what I understand, the rules are stricter now, so you’ll need to familiarise yourself with the current requirements. Best of luck to you and your fiancé!

      Li San

      • Hi Li San,

        Thank you so much for your reply! Understand that it is based on 2012 and many things would have changed by now but having your blog and reply does help – if not literally, definitely emotionally because it was indeed getting quite disheartening not being able to obtain a straight answer from 1 party.

        I just saw your reply to Adrianne and just like you, I’m in Marketing too. I will be based in West London where my partner lives and I was a little wary about getting a job because culture and consumer needs may be different.

        How long did it get you to find a job and which part are you based in? Perhaps one day when my application is successful (fingers crossed), we can meet up for coffee. Would be nice to have a friend. Drop me an email if you are ok to keep in touch – I hope you have access to it. Looking forward to hear from you.

        Thanks again!

        • Hi there,

          Just wanted to know regardless your application. Am halfway on this and will get married this coming June here in UK, our next is spouse visa.

  29. Hi Li San,

    First of all, thank you so much for sharing. By chance, I came across of your blog and it’s helpful to us.

    My fiancé and I are currently in the same process, running around to gather all the documents needed for the submission in the past few days, stressful a bit ^^”

    First we went to Brits embassy (they moved to Level 27 Menara Binjai, 2 Jalan Binjai, Kuala Lumpur 50450, opposite Intercontinental KL) but they said they no longer issue Cert of No Impediment, so we took the sample of Statutory Declaration from embassy, fill in details then got the chop and sign from the Commissioner for Oaths (at 5th floor of Wisma Central, Jalan Ampang, near to KLCC).

    We’ll back to Brits embassy next Monday again (need to make appointment) for the endorsement, then all set and get ready for the mini road trip to Putrajaya.


    • Hi Li san,

      Great blog..thanks for the guidance ;)

      hi Alice,

      I and my fiancee who is currently in UK also planning to marry in November but he will only be able to come in November due to work constraints. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me a copy of the sample which you took from the British embassy as I am not allowed to get a copy without the presence of my fiancee. I wish to get the document ready so that once my finance here we will be able to submit the forms soon. kindly contact me at [email protected] please. many thxx :)

    • Update progress:

      On Mon at Brits embassy, instead of endorsement on the Statutory Declaration, we received copy of letter @ RM403.00 (£65). Next, a little journey to Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

      Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Consular Division to re-certified the letter and the Statutory Declaration @ RM20.00 (my case, the consular only chop & sign on the embassy’s letter), from submission to pickup + payment time took us about 30 mins. (Note: Make photocopy of the letter after the consular chop&sign)

      After the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, we went to JPN head office (also in Putrajaya) for the marriage license. Form to fill in ~> JPN.KC09 form [Sample: ], then go back to the same counter to take the Q number and wait for our turn patiently ^^ When our number called, we submitted the JPN.KC09, embassy’s letter & Statutory Declaration (both original & photocopy, but they will only take the photocopy. Original to be submitted to the JPN office where you register your marriage. My case is in Kampar, Perak), my FH’s birth certificate, my IC+passport+birth certificate. Later, we received a sealed envelope addressed to “JPN Kampar”, we’re not supposed to open. XP

      Then, we all set and drove down to Kampar next day for JPN.KC02 submission, together with the original copy of embassy’s letter and Statutory Declaration, photocopy of my FH’s birth certificate & passport, and photocopy of my IC, and then pick our date – 18.08.2015.


  30. Hi Li San and Alice,

    We’ve managed to get everything sorted in one day which was a big plus for us (along with heaps of prayers)

    All we needed was the Statutory Declaration which my fiance got from the UK. No need for an Apostille (which is to legalise the document and incurs an extra 30 pound charge)

    I’d made an appointment with the BHC in Menara Binjai, we went there and got our endorsement letter, now priced at RM403 and then from there headed straight to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Putrajaya. Their endorsement cost us RM20 and took about 1 hour.

    From there we went to the JPN Putrajaya to get an approval letter that would allow us to register our marriage in JPN Kuching as I am from Sarawak. Met one particularly nasty officer at JPN, partly my fault as I had not photocopied all our original documents. The lady was very rude and told us to get it copied and come back for a number before we could have it all sorted. So ensure you’ve got all the important docs photocopied before you head out: birth cert, passport info and arrival dates, statutory declaration, letter from the BHC. Then it’ll be easier and hassle free at JPN also because their photocopy shop machine is broken, but you’d be able to get it copied at the adjacent building to JPN.

    We’re currently waiting to fulfill the 7 days + 21 days requirements. Good luck everyone.

    Li San, HEAPS of thankfulness for coming across this blog post. It has helped me tremendously :) Have a fabulous weekend.

    • I think the same nasty staff at JPN that we encountered, but we were lucky enough for less “scolding” because we just only missing photocopy of the covering letter from Brits embassy with Foreign Affairs chop&sign (we got the photocopy but without chop&sign). XP

      • Hi Lisan, thank you for the post. My fiance shared your post with me which is super helpful for us. We are getting married this year and now in the mid of getting all the document ready when my fiancé (British) arrived and can hit the road to get the stamped and verified.

        Hi Alice, I am Jessy. I am wondering if i can contact you for more info as I am getting a bit confuse? do you mind to drop me an email, and I can contact me about the process. as I guess your experience for the process will be the closest and most updated one i can use as reference?

        thank you. my email is jess_lsc

    • Hi Jey,

      Congratulations to you and your husband! I do hope it’s all gone smoothly for you and you’re happily married by now. I was just looking through here and saw that you got the Statutory Declaration endorsed at the British Embassy. Can you forward me a copy of it as my fiancé will get it sorted in the UK before coming end of this month. My email is [email protected]. Thanks a bunch!

      We’re hoping to get everything done and to get married within 2 weeks as he’ll only be here for 3 weeks. I called JPN in Shah Alam and they informed me that there is an express application, but it’s with the approval of the Ketua JPN. We’re preparing a letter to justify that he has to return to the UK for work and can’t stay the 4 weeks. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.



  31. What a shame that I have only read this after we made numerous trips to different government departments but currently stuck in the translator bit as JPN in Johor insisted that we must get a certified translator to sign on the form for us!

    The whole process was long and troublesome :( it is almost like they re discouraging us to get married!

    Finger-crossed that everything will work out smoothly for us here too!

  32. Hi Li San,

    That’s a great blog post. It just helped to answer most of the questions we have in our mind. Kudos for all the hassle you went through to even update it continuously after so many years.

    I’m a Malaysian and my bf is a British. Currently he is here in Malaysia on a working visa and will be moving back to UK to work in a week’s time. We are planning to get ROM done in February 2016 in Malaysia. We will then apply for me to move over to UK on a spouse visa. Sometime towards Q3 of the year, we will be coming back to Malaysia for tea ceremony and wedding banquet. We do plan to live in UK for a few years and the eventually move back to Malaysia at some point in our life for good.

    We do have additional queries and would appreciate it much if you have any insights you can share with us.

    1. Can he get married here in Malaysia on a tourist visa?

    2. Do Statutory Declaration have a validity date once it’s obtained and endorsed? Can we apply and get it endorsed now? At the same time, do you have a sample of the Statutory Declaration that I can refer to?

    3. Was it easy to apply for a spouse visa after getting married in Malaysia? What do I need to prove that the relationship is genuine when I move to UK? We do not have any bills together nor any property under both our names. We have only been together slightly above 1 year.

    4. Can we get the ROM done here in Malaysia and at the same time also get ROM in UK when I’m there on a Spouse Visa? (A request from my parents -_-” )

    Any help in he questions is much appreciated. If you do not have and idea, it’s alright. You blog posts have already helped me a great deal. Thanks much!


  33. Hey Li San .. It was nice reading your blog.. very helpful indeed.. How’s your marriage life treating you? I am a Malaysian non muslim marrying my Irish boyfriend next year.. was wondering if the Irish laws are different with UK ?

  34. Congratulations! Felicitacions! for everyone here who made it!
    This blog gave out lots of information! I’m in the process of gathering documents & additional infos too, though I’ll be marrying a French sometime end of this year (finger crossed). It helps to read others experiences.

    I love how much effort you put into this Blog, Li San :)))

    To the rest (& myself) Good Luck!!

  35. Hi Li San

    I have been reading your blog, and i’m currently will be facing the same situation this coming December. I’m an Australian citizen residing in Australia and my GF is Malaysian citizen she residing in Malaysia. what i have been reading so far is that i need to reside 7 day in KL and after the 21 day i’m able to get myself register. The problem i have is the time factor as i’m not able to spend a month in kl due to work.

    I did call JPN and they advise me that if you want to do the fast track you need to come out with a good reason such as if she is pregnant, or you got some illness. I cant you reason such as you applying for visa which will be rejected. The question to you is, what sort of reason have you provided to JPN and with that reason did you need to provide any evidence to JPN.

    Really gratefully if you could help me out

    Thank you

    My email [email protected]

  36. Hey Li San,

    Thanks alot for the information, my fiance and I are getting different information here and there but your piece is put up together well and will save us from all the trips.

    Thanks again!

  37. Hi Li San,

    This blog entry is great. I’m marrying a British citizen too and this was really helpful. I have a question though. Did you opt to include your fiance’s family name to your name?

    Do you have any idea about that? I would like to add my fiance’s surname to mine and change my name on all my docs. Did you do that too? I found this on NRD’s website but not done anything yet

    Thanks for this blog entry. It’s wonderful!!


  38. Hi Li San,

    Thanks for your post, it is very helpful.

    I am a British national marrying my Malaysian fiance in Malaysia.

    However, I have been told I need to provide a verified copy of my birth certificate to progress. This would mean sending it to the UK to have it legalised, and waiting for it to be sent back via snail mail before we can go to Wisma Putra to have it stamped.

    Did anyone else have this problem? Did you all just take a photocopy of your birth certificate and that was sufficient?

    I would be grateful for any advice as I really don’t want to have to wait another 3 weeks or so before I can go to Wisma Putra and get things rolling!

    Thanks a lot,


  39. Hi Li San / Adriane.
    Thanks so much for all the information! It’s very helpful.

    Would be appreciated if could have a copy of the statutory Declaration and more information about the express application.
    Kindly forward to my personal email add: [email protected]

    B regards,
    Penny Poon

  40. Hi Li San,

    Thank you for all the information. This is the most informative site on marrying a Malaysian girl. Fortunately, my fiance is a brit as well. So I can safely say all the above applies to me and him.

    My question is more to the spouse visa. We intend to settle down in London once we got married. As soon as we obtain the marriage cert, I will proceed to apply for the spouse visa. And if I am not wrong, I am allowed to stay for 2.5 years and I get to work!

    Would you be able to run me tru the process of obtaining the visa? I know I have to submit the online application first. Whats next after that?

    Thank you!

    • Hi Carrine,

      I’m looking to apply for my Spouse visa too and from what I see on your post (Feb ’16), was wondering if everything is sorted on your side or are you still going through the application? If you’re be able to share your experience with me especially on the documents required, etc., that would be great help and also the steps to take.

      Really hoping to see a reply from you. Thank you so much!


  41. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS POST! you’re amazing and the pair of you make a handsome couple. it was hard to understand what the marriage registrar was saying. (dat accent. O__O)

  42. Hi Li San, would like to leave a message for you and let you know how helpful your blog entry is. Thank you so much! I have apply for the registration at the Putrajaya last week but the translation rules have changed, they require a licensed translator instead of verbally translated ourself. The translator services are available at Federal Court of Malaysia which is just located opposite of the National Registration Office Putrajaya. Hope this information helps! :)

    Yee Wen

  43. Dear Li San,

    Below are some updates as of June 13, 2016.

    1. British High Commission has moved to a new location since 2 years ago (also on Jalan Ampang, near Ampang Park).
    2. BIRTH CERTIFICATE of British applicant is required (Please 2 photocopies).
    3. Unfortunately, we do need to find a translator as the translator official stamp is required. I had all my documents prepared at Jalan Barat’s JPN today, and was told that I can’t be the translator even though I’m Malaysian and is proficient in Bahasa Melayu. The rule has changed over the years I assumed. However, they have recommended a translator from the Court near the JPJ so it’s not too bad.

    Thanks for listing the outline Li San.

  44. Hi
    Thank you for all the posts. It’s reassuring to know that the testing period has to eventually end :)
    Could someone please advise me?
    I’m Malaysian and came to UK on a marriage visa which is valid for 6 months. My spouse and I applied for the notice of marriage in UK and we are now legally married in UK. My marriage visa expires in 3 months.
    I’m confused about how I should proceed with the legalities to remain in UK with my husband. The information on the official website is quite confusing. I’ve tried calling the links shown on websites etc but there is so much contradictions.
    – Do I need to return to Malaysia and apply for a different visa from there- if yes what type of visa and does my husband need to follow me to Malaysia to get this done? Also how long would it take?
    – Or can I remain in UK (apply for spouse visa /extension/some other visa)?
    Please advice. Thank you and my best wishes to everyone out there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *